Are you interested in joining the Australian Biathlon Association?
The Australian Biathlon Association is the National Federation in Australia for the sport of biathlon in Australia at all levels in both its winter and summer forms. We are affiliated with both the Australian Olympic Committee and the International Biathlon Union, and are the sole pathway to representing Australia in biathlon.
To apply become a member, you need to follow a specific procedure similar to rifle clubs, as our sport involves firearms and safety is our utmost priority.
In summary, the procedure is:
- obtain a Working With Children Check (WWC) if the applicant is aged 17 or over
- send a completed application form, WWC evidence and application fee to the ABA Executive Officer
- attend three sessions at an approved ABA firearms facility
- have an interview with an ABA Board Member
- applications are then considered by the Board after which an applicant is advised of the outcome of their application
While we do have family memberships, each applicant is considered separately and needs to complete their own application form. An applicant aged under 18 does not need a parent/guardian to join with them, however a parent/guardian must consent to an applicant under 18 applying to join the ABA.
Membership fees are kept low for students and to encourage laser biathlon family participation, which is aimed at encouraging participating those Under 12, ie unable to shoot with regular .22 biathlon firearms.
How to apply for ABA membership:
1/ if you are an applicant aged 17 or older, obtain a Working With Children Check
2/ send a request for a membership application form to the ABA Executive Officer at: australianbiathlon[at]gmail.com, including your full name, date of birth, place of residence and reason for applying
3/ Send to the ABA Executive Officer:
• your completed form
• evidence of your Working With Children Check (if 17 or older)
• the non-refundable application fee (as at 1 July 2017 this fee is $20, bank deposit details will be supplied separately)
either via email to australianbiathlon[at]gmail.com, or to PO Box 3135, Prahran East VIC 3181
Once your Working With Children Check evidence (if aged 17 or older), application form and application fee have been received, you will be contacted about the next stage in your application process.
- oOo -